Researchers, please remember:
· All glassware/reagent bottles that are to be disposed of need to be triple rinsed, with bottles labeled as empty and lids removed.
· Test your peroxide forming solvents and record it on bottle. http://www.drs.illinois.edu/SafetyLibrary/PeroxideFormingChemicals
o Peroxide Test Strips: Stockroom #37NL4120
o For Peroxidizable compound labels, see School of Chemical Sciences Storeroom
· Inspect fire extinguishers and record it on attached card ensuring the pressure gauge is in the green (if present), the safety pin is in place and the tamper indicator is intact.
· Inspect eyewash stations weekly to ensure they are working properly. Make sure to turn them on all the way to determine if the streams are at full strength and intersecting. If they aren’t working properly, please submit a work order in Reaction ASAP to have them fixed.
· Keep hallways and aisle ways clear. Bikes should NOT be stored in the hallways.
· Make sure all waste containers are labeled and stored according to DRS guidelines. https://www.drs.illinois.edu/site-documents/WasteCollectionRequirements.pdf
· Safety Minutes: Lesson Learned From Texas Tech: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/vpr/integrity/lessons-learned/march-2012.php
If there are any concerns or questions regarding safety related subjects please talk to your safety representative or contact Division of Research Safety (http://www.drs.illinois.edu/). Remember we are here to help you!
D. Chad Stevens, MPA
Director of Facilities and Safety
School of Chemical Sciences
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
168 Noyes Lab, MC-712
505 S. Mathews Avenue
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Safety Officer – School of Chemical Sciences
94 Roger Adams Lab
600 S. Mathews Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801